September 22nd-23rd, 2020, University of Lodz, Poland
Venue: Faculty of Philology, University of Lodz, Pomorska 171/173, 90-236 Lodz, Poland.
Organisers: Department of Specialized Languages and Intercultural Communication, University of Lodz.
Local organizing team
Prof. Stanislaw Gozdz-Roszkowski
Prof. Gianluca Pontrandolfo (University of Trieste)
Prof. Julia Mazurkiewicz-Sulkowska
dr Paulina Nowak-Korcz
mgr Joanna Kozłowska
mgr Aleksandra Makowska.
The aim of this conference is to create the opportunity for scholars working otherwise in different disciplines to share their views and insights into various dimensions underlying contemporary judicial discourse. We wish to bring together lawyers (academics as well as practitioners), political scientists, legal linguists, media specialists, sociologists, etc. to consider a wide range of court-related phenomena and processes. The areas envisaged for scholarly discussion include but are not limited to the following:
- The judicialisation of politics
- The organisation and working methods of courts and their impact on judicial discourse
- The nature and function(s) of judicial dissent
- Media representations of courts and the judicial decision-making process
- Public perceptions of courts
- Courts and their image (communicating with the wider audience)
- Judicial and political ways of conflict resolution
- Judicial argumentation
- Persuasive and evaluative concerns in judicial discourse
Papers for the workshop will be selected through a review process and presented during a two-day workshop. Each paper will be assigned a discussant. The atmosphere of the workshop will be informal and will give the participants an opportunity to present and discuss their ongoing research in a stimulating and interdisciplinary setting. In addition to individual papers being grouped in theme-related panels, we plan to hold roundtable discussions.
Registration: The deadline for registration for this event is June 15th, 2020 at 12:00 CEST.
For further information, please visit the conference website.